Addictions Foundation of Manitoba (AFM)
The Portage la Prairie School Division offers school-based counselling services for students of Portage Collegiate Institute.
The goals of the partnership between AFM and Portage Collegiate are:
- To encourage the early identification and referral of students experiencing problems related to their alcohol/other drug or gambling involvement
- To prevent students from becoming harmfully involved in alcohol/other drugs or gambling
- To assist and support students affected by the alcohol/other drug or gambling involvement of people close to them.
To contact our Addiction Foundation of Manitoba Counsellor call - 204-857-6843 Ext. 11607 (services are offered on a part-time basis during July and August. Call above number for counsellors summer schedule)
AFM services to support parents:
PARENT INTERVENTION & SUPPORT PROGRAM (PIP):
PIP is a program for parents, guardians and caregivers designed to provide information and support related to youth involvement with alcohol, other drugs or gambling (AODG). Your young person does not need to be actively involved with AFM for you to attend.
The purpose of PIP is to:
- introduce the AFM Youth Services’ philosophy in working with youth;
- strengthen the understanding of how a youth’s AODG involvement affects everyone;
- introduce parent response strategies that may assist and support adolescents in making healthier choices;
- re-introduce principles of self-care to aid parents in maintaining health;
- decrease isolation of parents/caregivers by providing information about available community supports and a network of mutual encouragement and support.
If you are interested in knowing more about the Parent Intervention and Support Program, please inquire with the AFM Counsellor. (Sessions typically run once per semester).
FAMILY THERAPY: Strengthening Families
The Family Therapy Program with Youth Community-based services offers youth aged between 12-19 and their families/caregivers assistance in resolving issues experienced within the family. Building on existing strengths and resources, families are assisted in finding solutions to the psychological challenges associated with the transition from adolescence to adulthood. Adjusting to the differing needs of independence and responsibility can be challenging for many families. This program recognizes that change in one person will affect change in others.
The issues brought to family therapy may include:
- improving communication;
- adapting to changes in family roles and responsibilities;
- negotiating different parenting styles;
- developing healthy boundaries;
- decreasing power struggles.
Services of AFM are private, confidential and client centered.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba Youth Services: 204-944-6235 or 1-866-638-2561 (Toll-Free)
Youth Addictions Centralized Intake (MB Adolescent treatment Centre): 1-877-710-3999
Manitoba Suicide Line: 1-877-435-7170
Youth Crisis Stabilization Services: 1-888-383-2776
To meet with our AFM counsellor, please contact:
Ann Marie Mac Intyre BSW.,CPRP.,CPRRP.,RSW
AFM Counsellor PCI
Portage la Prairie School Division
Phone: 204-857-6843 Ext. 11607
Email: Betty Ryzner-Madsen
AFM is accredited by Accreditation Canada
Services of AFM are private and confidential